Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The boot of Italy

So this last weekend I went with my professor, Lorenzo Casamenti, to the southern tip of Italy in the region of Calabria. We went to the town of Nocara, situated high up in the mountains, literally at the peak looking down upon a huge valley. Worked on restoring La Chiesa di Madre, from the 15th C. I gilded for the first time, laying gold leaf over wooden moldings and figures to look like full golden figures, but they're not really, just a touch of gold. It was an amazing experience and the town was beautiful. Went to the seaside and collected rocks, ate plenty of oranges, and saw where all the lemons come from in Italy. Pictures soon to come.

My apartment is freezing in Florence, because the heat doesn't work. Now I have a cold, and so does my roommate Selena. About to head to the Mercato San Ambrogio to go buy my fruits and vegetables, hope all is well! Ciao!

No comments: